Monday, July 25, 2005

Han: Mos Eisley Story

Wrapped up in worm-skin and waiting for the storm to pass, I decided to finish the tale of our Mos Eisley adventure:

Our first stop was the Cantina. I had almost nothing but my dime and my luck, but for me, that's plenty. The story is long and boring, and these are all old tricks that just about everyone knows, but I'll summarize it for you:

I tricked a Quarren into buying me drinks, and used the drinks as bait. I got a Duros to play decicred spin with me and earned a full credit that way before I lost. I doubled my money with the pepper trick against a Rodian/Jawa team, and squeezed another credit from a Squib with the sweet-cube trick. The Squib knew it was a trick; she said she was paying for the entertainment.

Then a Dug came in. Man, I don't like Dugs, and this one was worse than average, greedier and dumber than any other I've met. We played blow the bottle and he lost and TRIED AGAIN (double or nothing) and lost AGAIN, which brought me up to 6 credits. I traded halfcreds for credits and now I had 12. Instead of taking off after that trick, the Dug stuck around for my finale, and I pulled the money box on him and ended up with 18 credits. I made a fast getaway with the Squib while the Dug was still working the math.

The Squib led me to a Sabacc game, and in a Sabacc game, 18 credits is enough seed for me. I played the night away.

I had maybe 4000 credits when I returned to the Cantina to get Anakin. He was still at the bar, but there appeared to be a DO NOT ENTER zone around him. When the Cantina is crowded, it can be tough to find a seat at all, and Anakin had two on either side of him. Odd.

I asked the bartender how much he owed, and he said "1000". A THOUSAND CREDITS? For DRINKS? No, Ani's drinks were free (he had an apparently endless line of patrons volunteering to buy drinks for him). The money was for "the mess", whatever that meant.

Well, frack, that took half my winnings right off the bat and we hadn't purchased a shelter or transportation yet. I couldn't go back to the Sabacc game (no one would play against me anymore).

As we were leaving the Cantina I noticed what looked like blood on Anakin's boots, but I thought better than to ask him about it.

We probably spent an hour looking for a place that sold shelters, and came up with nothing. What's the deal? Almost nothing about Mos Eisley was how I remembered it.

Well, at least we wouldn't have to walk back to camp. There were no Jawa dealers around, but we found a junkyard.

"Check this baby out!" the dealer cried, "an old medical transport, still mostly functional!"

It had definitely seen better days. "The tails off," I pointed out.

"No it isn't!"

"What's that on the ground then?"

"Ah, it's detachable!"

"Don't worry, yo," Anakin said, "I can fly anything with wings."

"It doesn't have any wings," I said.

"Oh!" exclaimed the dealer, "It does! They're inside!"

"Detachable, like the tail?" I asked.

"Uh, sure!"

"Whatevs," Anakin said, "I can still fly it."

With little other options, we bought it. 2000 credits for that hunk of junk. Luckily, I had managed to run across someone I know from old Mos Eisley. A couple of mechanics that I would trust the Falcon to, and that's saying a lot. They were young, but I knew what skills they were capable of.

I asked them for the works.

They primed it,
fixed the motors,
reattached the wings,
and repainted it.
It cost my remaining 1000 credits, but I was quite pleased with the way it turned out.

Now we just had to fly back to camp...

3 Comments:

Blogger Anakin Skywalker said...

What can I say? People get outta the way of the only human to ever win the Boonta Eve. Oh, and they buy him drinks, too.

11:10 PM, July 25, 2005  
Blogger JawaJuice said...

Great story!
...shuttle looks scary.

7:20 AM, July 26, 2005  
Blogger Captain Typho said...

Go on. This is getting good.

7:39 AM, July 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home