Sunday, October 16, 2005

Qui-Gon : Revealed in the Dusk

Dusk painted waves of red and violet on the windswept sands. Twin suns inched lower into the darkening sky. A lone rocky outcrop glowed with life. From outside, a muffled shout could be heard, then another. Repeated violent cracking sounds followed, punctuated by more shouting. There was another, slightly nearer voice calling, and a glowing form left the mouth of the cave.
The green haze of Qui-Gon Jinn wafted into view.
"Qui!" JawaJuice met him a few steps out.
The ghost hung his head. "I swear, man, like, there won't need to be a vote with, like, those guys. It's like, a fight to the death in there now, man." He heaved a sigh.
"Well," JJ said, "You can hang with me. Have, um, a talk." He flashed a quick wink to the camera.
"Uh, like, JJ, man?" Qui-Gon asked, pointing a translucent finger out toward the direction of the camera. "There's like, a camera there."
JawaJuice feigned surprise. "There is? Golly!" He stepped toward it. "It looks off."
Qui-Gon looked confused for a moment. "It does? Well, like, there's that little red light on and that high-pitched buzz that cameras make."
"Would I lie to you?"
The ghost smiled. "You're right, man. Sorry, for, like, doubting you."
JJ sat on a nearby rock and Qui-Gon followed suit.
"We're not going to sing Kumbayah, are we, man? I just, like, don't do the campfire classics. I do have an image to uphold."
JJ simply smiled and shook his head. "No, Qui. None of that. I just wanted to know how things are going. You know, down to the nitty-gritty."
"Isn't that, like, cat litter?"
"No," JJ said with a short sigh. "That's Gritty-Kitty. Nitty-Gritty. The Final Three contestants? Last three weeks of the show?"
"Oh!" the spectre exclaimed, raising his index finger. "Like, yeah! Big finale."
"Well, what do you think?"
Qui-Gon went blank. "About what?"
JJ shook his head. "The ending? Are you ready? Excited? Um, bummed?"
"Oh. About, like, that." He drew in a sigh and looked deep in thought for a brief moment. "I'm, like, bummed, JJ. I don't think I want to leave, you know? Like, these guys, right? They're not the greatest roomies, but out here, I don't know, it's almost like I'm alive again. Like I'm worth something."
"What are you worth out here? Do you think you'll win?"
The ghost drew his eyes away, staring at the sand. "You want me to be honest?"
JJ nodded and said, "Well, yeah."
Qui-Gon's reply was nearly silent. "I don't want to win."
The Jawa sat back and looked perplexed. "You don't want to win? A million credits?"
Qui-Gon looked up, a serious look hard on his face. "Let's face it, mate. I'm dead. I don't need a new ship. Or, like, things for a moisture farm. Or even a trip to Dolly-Wood, man. I got no need for the bread, man. I don't need it. I mean, like, I could spend it, sure. Have a far-out shin-dig. Bring every one of the people who, like, got voted off back. Have a hell of a time. But I don't need it."
JawaJuice shook his head slightly. "What are you here for?"
"For me." His statement was firm, but given with a proud smile. "Right, when I got here, I was all down because the Jedi couldn't see me. It's a fact that I had to, like, face. Then I went in and just, like, went for it. You know? Full throttle. Even called the Ooteeni's 'Pig-Dogs,' man. Then, like, during that Swoop Race, I learned something. It's not the destination, but, like, the journey. Your focus determines your reality. So, like, in the end, I may lose. Totally last place, man. But if I had fun getting there and I felt like I won, then I did."
JJ nodded. "That's deep, man."
"Well," Qui-Gon began. "When you're without a physical form, then physical stuff doesn't matter. Like, I will admit, I'm still attached to my poncho," he said with a smile, "But, seriously, I'm here for the experience."
"What was your favourite part?" The Jawa absently scratched his chin.
Qui-Gon's smile widened, running his hand over his ethereal beard. "That moment in the Swoop Race. When Dooks caught my channel. It was like the bond between us was still there, right? Like there was no bad blood. It was all about the moment. And that moment was, like, far-out."
JJ asked, "What was the worst part?"
The ghost answered immediately. "That last challenge. The last bit. Facing my greatest fear. I faced it, but it could still happen. I've accepted it. But that was just rough, man."
JJ changed the subject. "Who is your friend on the show?"
The deceased man mulled over his words for a moment. "Fluke," he answered with a smile. "Fluke's true blue. He's, like, the all-around good-guy. He's driven to win, don't get me wrong. But I think if he had to do something, like, uncool and heavy, he'd feel really bad about it. I don't think he'd take a dive for me, but I think he'd be a gracious winner."
"What about Master Yoda?" JJ asked.
Qui-Gon shook his head and smiled. "He's just..." He inhaled a sigh. "Yoda. He can be infuriating at times. 'Get me another blanket, you will.' 'A goober, you are. Put up with your Padawan in my Force-Induced hallucinations, I will not.' It's just... I don't know. Yoda."
JJ was smiling. "Han?"
Again, Qui-Gon thought hard on his answer. "Okay. Like, don't get me wrong, Han's a heck of a guy. But, he's not team player. Like, he killed Herb! It was his week to, like, feed him and poor little Herb starved to, like, death. Bummer, man." Qui-Gon took a moment to settle himself and ran his spectral hand through his translucent hair. "He's, like, the classic case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder."
JJ leaned in looking awed. "He whaty what?"
"Oh," Qui-Gon started, "He's, like, vain. It's all about him. It's not, like, a bad thing, man. Unless it kills hamsters..." The last part he mumbled under his breath. "It's who he is, sure, but, like, he's so in it for the win. He'd throw us all down for it."
"Do you think he's the one to win it?"
The ghost pondered for a long moment. "I can't say. We're all great candidates. We are all trying our hardest. It's up to the Will of the Force, man."
JawaJuice smiled and nodded, stretching his arms and legs out with a yawn. "Sounds good. What do ya' say we hit the hay, Qui? We've got a busy day tomorrow."
Qui-Gon stood and smiled. "Yeah." He looked at the standing Jawa. "Hey, JJ?"
JJ glanced over at the camera and hurriedly back at his ghostly companion. "Yeah."
"Nice talk, man. 'Night."

3 Comments:

Blogger Master Yoda said...

Another blanket bring me.

Goober.

6:08 AM, October 17, 2005  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

What do you need a blanket for? It's the freakin' desert!

8:37 AM, October 17, 2005  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

Need one I do not. But forcing Jinn to bring me things I enjoy.

8:41 AM, October 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home